Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Obama Election Night


During the election day of Nov. 4, 2008 I was in London, England (don't worry I did early voting). I stayed up until 4am to watch the election results. All my British friends fell asleep, yet I stayed on to watch Obama win Ohio and then California.

I was amazed at the interest of the British people with our election. Then again, the whole world was watching as America was about to elect the first colored man into the most powerful office in the world. Everyone knew this was a historical moment. It really did give people hope.

BBC, SKY One, and ITV4 had their own special programming to cover the election. My favorite moment was when BBC brought on John Bolton (ex-UN Secretary) and a British Author, it was a little past midnight in London and the panel looked tired. A field reported made a comment that Palin is the mistake that lost the election for the Republicans. John Bolton was quick to defend Palin and the Republican party, then a civil debate began to unfold before my eyes.

It was interesting because John Bolton got huffy and puffy over a comment that was obvious to everyone, but he refused admit to it. The reporter was only making the point that nominating Palin strengthened the Christian right, but alienated the Republican center. Losing the election, since they failed to attract the people in the center of the party (since the Christian right would vote Republican either way).

Yet, John Bolton was quick to accuse how the reporter had no idea what she was talking about, etc. For a prior UN-Secretary, John Bolton lacks human interaction skills. I found him to be crass and condescending to the people around him, not to mention stubborn. I can only imagine how much of an ass he was to work with in the United Nations. He continued to call for a reporter to be fired, because the reporter tried to ask a republican organizer about their chances for a victory that evening. The Republican organizer was elusive in his response and the reporter continued to question him to get a clear and straight forward response. John Bolton thought that was rude of the reporter.

First off, it wasn't that serious. Secondly, he was a reporter... that's what he's supposed to do. GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER! Not let a schmuck get away with elusive responses. We should actually get more reporters like that, who asks the tough questions and state the obvious.

Enough of Mr. Bolton. After the victory, within the next few days I watched programs and news paper articles featuring Mr. Obama and the Democratic Victory. It was amazing to see the interest in our election, they all knew that it would affect them in one way or another. The most touching thing I experienced was a father and daughter behind me on the 207 bus. They sat in the back seat conversing about Obama and the election. Most of the conversation was in Arabic (they were from North Africa I think), yet I got the gist of what the exchange was all about. The father was explaining to his daughter about the American election and why Obama victory was all over the news. He was explaining to her, why the moment was historical.

Because the father knew that this moment was not possible in England or any European country that had white faces in higher office. Articles about institutional racism filled the news paper and how the British government is no where near to having a colored Prime Minister. The father knew that America is still the land of opportunity and equality. That hope can still come from her people. That is when I knew that it was cool to be an American again... not because of Mr. Obama, but because of the American people itself who looked past the color lines, looked past the fear mongering, and walked towards the future together, voting for the first Black President of the United States. Showing the world that we judge people by their character and not by the color of their skin.

As I write this blog entry, I am filled with emotion imagining fathers and mothers explaining to their kids the significance of this election. Explaining to their child that hard work, education and dedication can get you ahead. That anything is still possible in America. Terrorist or not, they can't deny that such a feat could never happen in their countries, may it be in the Middle East, Europe, or Asia.

So to my fellow Americans I say this, "GOOD JOB GUYS! GOOD JOB!"

I'm glad together we voted and showed that progress can me made in 46 years. I hope you are smiling Dr. King, I hope you are smiling.

No comments: