Thursday, March 20, 2008

Welcome. Definition. Understand.

Today is my first day at attempting to blog and share with you my life and struggles. I only hope that you can share your opinions when I publish postings, because I really do want to know what you think.

Let me share with you the definition of a Euphemism accourding to Merriam - Webster.

eu·phe·mism Listen to the pronunciation of euphemism
Pronunciation: \ˈyü-fə-ˌmi-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology:
Greek euphēmismos, from euphēmos auspicious, sounding good, from eu- + phēmē speech, from phanai to speak — more at ban
Date: circa 1681
: the substitution of an agreeable or inoffensive expression for one that may offend or suggest something unpleasant; also : the expression so substituted
eu·phe·mist Listen to the pronunciation of euphemist \-mist\ noun
eu·phe·mis·tic Listen to the pronunciation of euphemistic \ˌyü-fə-ˈmis-tik\ adjective
eu·phe·mis·ti·cal·ly Listen to the pronunciation of euphemistically \-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb

So now you know what it means. Now, stay tuned to see how I feel and think about certain Euphemisms that occur in this world via corporations, religion, politics, and even through my everyday life as a human being.

No comments: