Thursday, March 27, 2008

Who is watching the TSA?

I just had to put this up for people to read. A woman wasn't allowed to go to her plane due to a nipple ring. See article here via YAHOO! NEWS.

This is incredible and unacceptable. First it was a mother and her baby’s milk. Then a man who had his computer confiscated and searched with out explanation or reasonable doubt. Then recently, a woman was told to remove her nipple piercing before a flight in Lubbock, Texas. All too many people are being harassed unnecessarily in the name of National Security. When is common sense going to rule the TSA in America and around the world? This could have been easily solved if an agent of the same sex inspected the woman visually. Why did it have to be removed? Was there an incident or CIA report that said, "terrorists are sneaking uranium/explosives via nipple rings or balls?!?!

I very much doubt it, but for these agents to do this is just insulting. If anything, people should begin to arrive at their flights on time and expect to be harassed by these agents. Then instead of succumbing to their demands, ask for a supervisor if their requests seem REALLY unreasonable. I'm so sick and tired of airport security asking people to remove items that have no use in hi-jacking or terrorism. In Paris, I was ordered to remove a mock Cabineri (made of aluminum) because the agent thought I could use it as a weapon (brass-knuckle). I fought and argued, but in the end gave it up to catch my flight. A decision I still regret today due to the principal of the whole matter. I just hope if that agent took my Cabineri home to use in his rock-climbing weekend get-a-way, that he realizes the hard way that it's not real.

What upsets me is how the TSA doesn’t seem to care how they treat the people that go through the security checkpoint. They don’t seem to care if their agents are possibly stealing or harassing people under the guise of National Security. I understand people are afraid of getting blown up out of the sky, but we have to stop being so afraid that we give up common sense and decency. I don’t know about you, but the next time I feel harassed by a TSA inspector, I plan to get their name and badge number to make a formal complaint. Especially if I know they are making a mountain out of a molehill.

No comments: