Thursday, April 24, 2008

I love my Honda Civic!!!

Alright. So I finished working on the SAP and Microsoft commercial in San Francisco. After which, I decided to take a vacation and visit Las Vegas. According to google maps, it is 529 miles to Las Vegas from San Jose.


View Larger Map

So I decided to fill up my tank and head south for the desert.


On my way down, I saw the wonderful Wind Farms of California.

Then half-way through the drive, I realized that I have the potential to beat my prior driving record from Las Vegas to San Jose (non-stop). Last time, I was able to get 433 miles and nearly got stranded in the desert. Due to the fact that I decided to skip a gas station with my reserve tank. Once the reserve light turns on, it can only take me 30 - 33 miles; then two seconds after my light turns on, I drive past the exit for a gas station then a sign that says, "Next Gas Station 36 miles."

Luckily, I made it to the gas station. Fast forward to the present and coming up to Barstow (California); Which I decide to drive past, knowing that Baker (California) is the next city over. I figured that I had one gallon left before the "Empty Tank" light turns on and I can refill at Baker, California. What I didn't know was how FAR Baker was from Barstow. Then I see a sign that says,Baker 45 miles away. Then I knew.
View Larger Map


I figured I was okay, but suddenly the light comes on at 410 miles, then doing the math realized that I need to get to Baker within the next 30 miles or risk being stuck in the Mojave Desert or walk several miles to the nearest gas station to fill up my gas tank. I figured it can be done, I just can't use the brakes and continue traveling at my current speed on cruise control. So I kept driving at 85mph down the freeway and swerving through traffic to make sure I don't use my brakes to slow down my momentum. After some tense moments climbing a few hills I finally made it to Baker and filled up my tank.





There I noticed that I was able to get 448.2 miles on one tank. Being a nerd that I am, I was amazed that I was able to make my car run so efficiently. Not only that, beat my own record of distance. In six hours I was able to drive 448.2 miles to Baker, California. Proving that driving 80 - 85 MPH is just as fuel efficient as driving at 60 - 70 MPH, provided that you don't use your brakes too much and continue using cruise control. Once I filled up my tank, I was able to continue on to Las Vagas with Baker on my rear view mirror.


No comments: