Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Moving to LA

Okay. So I haven't made a blog entry in a week. I have a good excuse. I moved to Los Angeles, CA. I made the move due to my interest in pursuing a career in film and entertainment. I didn't get too many opportunities in the bay area, except for a few commercial work... which I hope becomes a regular gig for me.

So instead of stating the obvious as to why I moved to Los Angeles after Film School, let me tell you about my last week in San Jose, California. It started with a farewell party on Sunday. Correction. A BBQ/Potluck. I had friends whom I haven't seen in 11 years show up to bid me farewell for Los Angeles. It was amazing to see some of my closest friends from the past and present have dinner with me. The event lasted for 12 hours, when we eventually quit drinking, while others sobered up enough to drive home.

Then on Wednesday, April 2nd I went out to dinner with some more friends at HANA Sushi on El Camino and Bowers. Great sushi restaurant!!! Order the Pinapple Roll, trust me. Anyways. After we stuffed ourselves at the restaurant, we returned to the TILE HOUSE (my house) where we drank and played drinking games till 3 AM... AGAIN!!! Then my friend Jeff and I took some of our friends home, then Jeff passed out in his room. Leaving me to walk home alone. LoL.

Then, my friend Jason (my old house mate) treated me to dinner and we caught up with each others lives. There we discussed how everyone he knew was married, except him... where I proceeded to let him know that he's lucky he knows me and my other friends. Because out of MY group of friends... I only know ONE guy who is married. *whew*

Then Friday night, the night before I was to drive to LA... I was invited to a Birthday party in Club Voodoo in downtown San Jose. Again, the gang got together... Where we drank and partied till 2AM... where I then continued to pack when I returned home at 3AM till 6AM. After my nap, I was really regretting going out the night before. Oh well!!! Thats how we roll.

THEN THE DRIVE TO LA...

After an uneventful 4 hours on CA-152 and I-5, the grapevine happened. Halfway through the Grapevine, which is a section of the Interstate 5 (I-5) that winds through the mountains which eventually leads you to the Los Angeles Valley... Anyways, back to my story.

Halfway through the grapevine, I begin to get stomach pains in my stomach which I later realize/diagnose as Acid Reflux from lack of food. Since the only thing I ate on the road was 2 cans of energy drinks and a handful of trail mix. This was due to my lack of interest to stop anywhere along the way to eat or fill up on gas... since my car can drive from San Jose to Las Vegas on one tank of gas and in only 5 hours. =)

Eventually, I make it to LA and have a late night snack and begin to unpack. Only until today (4 days later) have I finished unpacking. My room looks somewhat normal now.

Living in LA

Now that I've moved to Los Angeles, I've gotten several warnings about road rage and how people get shot in the freeway (I-710 especially). Due to gangsters inciting road rage amongst other drivers, only to shoot them when they get the chance. Lucky for me, road rage is a thing of my past. I also keep hearing how ghetto Long Beach was... not until I realized my neighborhood was only several blocks from Compton did that settle in. So far so good. I've been cruising around at night looking at late night shops and found a nice place near Cal State Long Beach, its called "Cha for tea." In fact, I'm sitting here right now. They have food and milk tea drinks... the food is good, but the Milk Tea's and coffee are a little too expensive for me, but it does taste good. but I am still a QUICKLY and CREMA Cafe of San Jose FAN!!!

Anyways, I had breakfast meeting with some friends and met some industry people. Where I basically met a guy who worked on STARGATE and 24. I also had a chance to meet a director from Norway, who does music videos. I'm not quite sure if I know most of his work, but he had some good advice, not to mention a real humble guy. It was cool meeting people from the industry and several actors I won't mind working with in the near future. Things look promising, as a matter of fact, I am already invited to a few parties next week. Hopefully, I can make some more friends... because as of right now. All my friends are either working or living in Central LA, which is quite a distance away. Oh ya... I'm here at "CHA for Tea" sitting alone in a cafe, typing on my laptop and catching people glance at me as they wonder, "Why is he here alone?"

As if sitting alone is a thing weird people do... but as I look around and notice how everyone is with a friend, partner, or group of friends; I begin to realize that sitting alone in a cafe isn't for weird people, its just for losers like me who have no friends. *pout*

Enough self pity... I thought it would be a while before I return to the Bay Area.... but I just got a call yesterday which makes "a while" stand for a week. As fate would have it, I was asked to work on a commercial this weekend. YAY for work. Stay tuned on my life in LA.

No comments: