Monday, September 22, 2008

Fancy that. It got shot down.


Guess what! My idea of the "3 rule" was totally shot down the other day (Friday). I was waiting for a third bad news and expecting this "break" to not happen. But instead of just sitting and waiting for it to happen. I did something about it and got my job.

Saturday morning, I started working for my first television show as a Production Assistant. Finally, broke in to the industry with an entry level position to gain more experience. Please don't ask me what show I'm working on or what it's about... because I can't tell you. I'll just get tired of denying you and start telling you some bullshit answer to entertain myself and make you look stupid later. My coworkers are great except one guy who heads the lighting department. Two words: Napoleon Complex.

As much as I hate using that word, this guy is just a dick. Whines and bitches about why he's not able to do this or that... as if I have anything to do about it. I just tell him what is told from my chain of command. If he has a problem, bring it up with my boss or the Producer. Don't speak under your breath or out loud to pretend to make me feel guilty... cuz I don't give a shit. Since, I'm following my orders and doing my job.

What I will bring to you are quotes I get from set in film format. Let's begin:

INT. CAR - NIGHT

PA 1 (Short Male, Denim Jeans, and black shirt), PA 2 (Slender Female, perky breasts, tank top, dirty BOX blond hair), Line Producer ( Husky Male, zip up sweater, jeans) walk out of a production house carrying various products in hand.

PA 1
How is that a Viking name?

PA 2
Because they do!

PA 1
The last one you read, maybe! But the names you read before that?
Not Viking. Hamm and anything with a "...ski" on it, is not a viking name.

PA 2
What would it be?

PA 1
Those are Germanic names. From Germany.

PA 2
No they aren't.

PA 1 and Line Producer
What?

PA 2
Those aren't, I swear.

PA 1
Dude! Those names were Germanic... Eastern European in origin.

PA 2
(surprised)
What! Eastern Europe is China and shit. Those aren't Chinese names.

PA 1 and Line Producer look at each other in shock. They both smirk.

PA 1
Are you serious? Really?

PA 2
Yeah.
Line Producer
Uhm. That is Eastern Europe.

PA 1
No its not!


EXT. PRODUCTION HOUSE - NIGHT

The group walk out to the front doorstep of the house.

Line Producer and PA 1
What is Germany and the countries next to it then?
PA 1
Dude! Viking Countries are Norway, Sweden, and Finland. That's North Europe.

PA 2
No it's not. Germany is like Europe... and Viking Countries are the North West Europe.
Oh, I forgot something... I need to run back inside.

Line Producer and PA 1 just look at each other and nod in disbelief.

FADE TO BLACK

FADE IN


INT. CAR - NIGHT

Line Producer is sitting in the driver seat, PA 1 is sitting on passenger seat, and PA 2 is moving around in the back seat trying to get comfortable. PA 2 begins to rummage through the back of the car.

PA 2
Oh my gawd! Is this a China man hat?

Silence lingers in the car for a moment.

Line Producer
Uhm, yeah.

PA 1 begins to laugh sarcastically.

PA 1
I don't think that's called a China man Hat.

Line Producer
It's called a rice field worker hat.

PA 2
No it's not! It's a China man Hat.

PA 1
Uhm, dude! No one uses that word. Do you know the equivalent of that word?

Line Producer
Yeah, that's pretty much an insult and people don't like to hear that word.

PA 2
What?

PA 1
Yeah. That's a derogatory term.

PA 2
Dude. It's not racist. I can't be racist.

PA 1
Why not?
PA 2
Because I'm Hispanic! I'm such a mutt that I can't be racist.

Line Producer and PA 1 look at each other and nod their head in disbelief.

FADE TO BLACK


It's safe to say that we stopped trying to educate her and let her believe that China is Eastern Europe.

Then we were too tired to debate her on how stupid it was to think that just because you are a person of color, you can't be racist. I personally think that is the dumbest shit in the world. To think that a person of color is unable to discriminate another human being due to their color being different from theirs. I've met plenty of Hispanics, Blacks, and Asians who are bigots in their own right.

By definition, she is right I suppose... because by definition. Racist people would have to be in a position of power and use that to influence hold down a group of people. Yet she is still quite the bigot for saying what she said. Since you are reinforcing the use of a racial slur. Justifying to others that it's okay to use a racial slur. Same can be said for using the word n**gger, we**ack, sp**k, ch**k... etc.

Perpetuating racial stereotypes and believing you can't be a bigot due to the shade of your skin is just pure stupidity.

FULL STOP.

No comments: